Saturday, May 12, 2012

Plein Air Saturday - Prairie Oaks Metro Park

We met at Prairie Oaks Metro park today, in the Darby Bend lakes area. There are lovely views there, but mainly green green trees and some ponds. When I arrived, the sun was peeking through some trees in the distance. The photo of the scene doesn't show what I saw, but I tried to recreate what I had seen.


the scene in the distance marked with red square
I brought both my oil paint setup and my pastel setup, so I could decide what to use once I arrived. I decided on the pastels. Here is my Judsons Guerrilla 9x12 box setup with the pastel inserts. I am painting on PastelMat in a creamy yellow color. I am a big fan of PastelMat.

I started with NuPastels to sketch in the design lightly, then used an alcohol wash to melt those into the paper.

Then started to add some color with regular soft pastels.



"Sun Lit Trees", soft pastel on PastelMat

No comments: