Friday, May 25, 2012

Plein Air Friday!

I decided to take today off from work to make it a longer holiday weekend. So, I put the call out to my fellow painters at Central Ohio Plein Air - who wants to paint today? My past oil painting teacher, Jim Glover, responded that he was teaching a class today at Park of Roses and I was welcome to paint with them.  Then a couple other members decided to paint too! We had a nice group.

This park is beautiful, but because of the thousands of rose bushes, it is hard to pick something to paint. I kept being drawn to the hot pink of this variety, called Chuckles - and in honor of Memorial Day, it seemed fitting to choose this one since it was labeled, "To Veterans of the US Army Air Corps.














I was drawn to this view, with Chuckles in the foreground and the white flowering tree in the back:

I was using Gamblin FastMatte oils today, and a couple days ago, I had made a color chart as a cheat sheet and used that today to remind me how to mix certain colors. I was painting on a canvas wrapped board which was a wipe-down from a failed painting, so the board was already a soft green.


My finished painting. 





Jim Glover

Bill Westerman



No comments: