Sunday, May 20, 2012

More On Limited Color Palettes

I like to putter in my studio when I can't seem to get excited about any of my reference photos for a new studio painting.  I also like to experiment and lighten my load of gear with painting outdoors. Yesterday, I tried to use the palette where you have a cool and a warm of the three primaries. But I tend to get too involved with putting the paint down into a recognizable rendering and forget all the things I have been told about color temperature. I sure wish I could get those lessons to stick in my mind while I am working!

There have been lots of conversations online with painters and limited color palettes this spring. Many of the conversations have been about Ken Auster's palette because he was a featured speaker at the Plein Air convention in Las Vegas in April. Ken uses Aliz. Crimson, Cad. Yellow, Ultramarine Blue, white and Ivory black. I thought maybe using Ken's five color palette would give me enough options, so I made a grid of squares and mixed the colors. Of the mixtures shown below, I tried to use a 80% -20% ratio of each color. Obviously, there are unlimited ratio combinations which would give more choices.
Although this palette makes some interesting reds and greys, I didn't get enough purples, blues or greens for my taste, although I might give it a try sometime.

1 comment:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Hi Nancy ... I loved reading about your Yoder adventure. It sounds like a run time -Especially the baked goods part *yum.

I use a limited palette also. I've always been too confused by too many color choices of a lot of other artists. It just makes sense that if you use less colors the painting shows color harmony.

I had to giggle when I read where you said "forgetting all the things I have been told about color temperature". Isn't that amazing that you can go into a project with the knowledge at hand and then with-in a few minutes you are oblivious to it all. *sigh