Saturday, April 05, 2014

Plein Air Saturday - Hayden Run Falls



We began our 2014 Plein Air painting season today!!! Although our weather has been getting warmer, today was very cold and grey - at 37 degrees. After several days of heavy rain, our painting location was really flowing! Quite the change from a couple weeks ago, when I took the photos for the previous post with the "River Snag" painting!






But there was a good number of die-hard painters who showed up, and most of us stayed to paint. Since it was so damp, I decided to work in oil today. I was using Arches Oil paper today, which I had stacked and made a 'pad' or block like how some watercolor blocks are made, by coating the edges with thick white glue. It fit perfectly in my tiny Judson's Thumb box pochade.

I worked quickly and although my body was warm enough, my painting hand fingers got really cold!! We painted only a couple hours and then we met at a nearby Wendys to warm up and have a quick lunch together.



Spring Falls, 5x7, oil on Arches Oil paper

Detail












No comments: