Sunday, February 24, 2013

Art for the Office

We recently had carpets replaced at my workplace. This meant my furniture needed moved out and to those friends who know me well, you know that I love to rearrange furniture! Unfortunately, my office has a modular desk which can't be moved without taking it apart, so I jumped at the chance to figure out a new arrangement. In the past, the President of the company had to approve anything hung on the walls.  Even though he retired a number of years ago and the new President was not as strict, I have been hesitant in putting art on the walls because it is a large room and it would take a lot of art. I didn't want to hang my own art because I like to have them available for exhibits. After things were in place, my direct supervisor told me I really needed to personalize my office, so I thought it was time to figure it out.

I knew there was a good spot beside on one wall for a good size painting, but I didn't want to buy a new canvas. I had a piece of older 'ready made' art which was used in my previous house. It was a factory made, printed stretched canvas. I thought about just hanging this, but I really wanted something newer. I figured since it was just in storage anyway, I might as well see what I could do with it. I coated it with gesso and started messing around. Here are some process shots and the final painting. I think it is much better than the 'ready made' art and now I can say I have an original piece of art in my office.
"Ready made" - factory 'art'
 

My original office art

No comments: