Saturday, May 13, 2017

Finally! A nice Saturday for Plein Air!!

What a beautiful morning we had for our plein air outing to Fairfield County Ohio to Rock Mill. We painted at this historic grist mill in 2013 and it is a lovely location! About 30 painters showed up today and everyone did some really good paintings!

Instead of painting the mill this time, I was enchanted by this small barn, with the purple phlox growing in front.
Before I got setup to paint, this happened:
Yep, that's how it goes, someone always parks in front of our views! But it was ok, since it was a painter!

Since one of my goals is to be more comfortable painting architecture, I gave it a shot.
 I was using the grey under painting technique, and quickly got distracted by this:
The Fairfield County Parks director had brought us donuts and coffee! Thanks Dave! He loves when we come to paint as he loves to see people enjoying the mill he helped restore.

I got this far along, and most people were heading out. Some wanted to go next door to the Rock Mill Brewery Tap Room, where there was also a BBQ food truck! LUNCH!

Once I got home, I worked on refining the painting. I wanted to keep a loose look and feel this is a successful painting!
Spring Phlox, oil on panel, 9x12"



2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Nothing better than food, friends and painting! Not sure which order. The painting is great, by the way.

Nancy L. Vance said...

Thanks Jo! After feeling good about my plein air painting, I felt very inspired to work in the studio yesterday with some photos of the barn. I got a good "first pass" of paint down and surprised myself how well the simple start reads. Let's hope I don't mess it up! But for me, I so enjoy the process - so it's all a learning tool.