Saturday, July 11, 2015

Saturday Plein Air - Wetlands

After rain, rain, rain, and more rain - we finally had a BEAUTIFUL day for plein air! We painted at a small wetlands in a neighborhood park. This used to be a boggy area, but the park department reconstructed it into very pretty wetlands with boardwalks, stepping stones, wildflowers, and interesting trees. 





Although we are pretty far north for Bald Cypress trees, there are several planted in the wetlands and they seem to be thriving. Their "knees" really caught my eye and I decided to paint while standing on a boardwalk.
Today I tried out a Richeson Gesso Board which came toned in a warm color. It worked very well for me, I will certainly use them again. I also tried out the new Gamblin Solvent Free Fluid Medium, which worked really well also. 

Although my easel was facing east, I was looking to my right to the south to paint the cypress beside me, as the boardwalk was fairly narrow and was busy with kids on bikes and people walking dogs. Process shots below. 
 



"Knobby Knees", 8x10, oil on Richeson gesso board, warm toned. 

No comments: