Monday, June 01, 2015

Sunday Sewing??

I didn't paint last Saturday with the plein air group because I had to deliver "Checkmate" to the Zanesville Museum of Art. Saw many of the other entries - WOW - it's going to be another exceptional show! Can't wait to visit the show once it is hung. (June 11- August 21st)

Instead of painting, I decided to get out my sewing machine, which has been neglected for about 10 years now. I was previously heavily into the "art quilt" movement for a good 15 years. Once I moved to Columbus I decided to switch to painting. I'd thought it would be easier to sell paintings. (HA!)

I'd been seeing some really interesting aprons online lately and decided to draft out a pattern for one I liked which is based on Japanese work aprons with crossed straps instead of ties. Luckily, my draft worked perfectly for my build (ie: wide and tall, lol) and fit like a glove.(The patterns available online fit normal size people, so had to make my own) After I sewed it yesterday, I agreed with the prices I saw for these on Etsy! It would be hard for me to make these for any less.

I'll use mine for use while painting. There's one other style I need to try and found some great fabric in the clearance at Hobby Lobby. I'll get that one sewed soon so I can use my painting table again! I did have to laugh - it all comes around - while digging out my sewing supplies, I found my stash of art quilts.....

No comments: