Sunday, March 02, 2014

Cows with Big Ears and Funny Legs

I got back into painting with oils this week. I spent today finishing up a painting of cattle. I took the photo last fall at the Stratford Ecological Farm at their Harvest Festival. Loved the looks and composition of these guys/gals! But when I went to paint them, I noticed how BIG their ears are and how funny cow legs are shaped!
I was hoping to catch the effect of the left most cow's breath in the morning air, but it was hard to capture.

Along the way, I took a few photos with my iPad but I am still trying to figure the best way of getting true colors (warm/cool) and the correct contrast. I have tried to edit them in the iPhoto app, but to me, they are still off. I guess it doesn't matter too much because everyone viewing these has a different monitor. I've tried to use my Canon camera for most and the final photo is from that. Process shots follow:

(iPad photo)



(iPad photo)


"You Looking at Us?", 8x10, oil on hardboard

No comments: