Saturday, September 07, 2013

Saturday Plein Air - Troyers Bakery

We returned to Troyers Bakery near Danville today. We painted here last year and they asked us to return as they enjoyed watching us painting. They are an Amish family but progressive and have some of the modern conveniences for the bakery. Of course, I came home with some bakery and produce items, and some maple syrup.

I setup across the road from the bakery and painted the view below the hill. Notice the deep shadows from the right hand tree and watch how much it moves in the final photo. I made sure to get this shadow down and did not try to change it as the light changed. I found it interesting, that while painting, I did not even notice the electric pole and wires. Just noticed it when looking at the photos.



I was working on a homemade linen panel today. I'm still experimenting, as I like to do, with surfaces. Today's panel was a 3/16" gatorboard with mounted linen coated with two coats of gesso. I have some others with the mounted linen with Gamblin's oil ground, but they were not dry enough to use today.

I liked the feel of the panel today. Generally, I don't like the feel of gesso on hardboard but I liked it on the linen. And gesso is much easier and cleaner to apply.

Below are a few process shots and the final painting. I'm happy with how this turned out.




Late Summer Shadows, 8x10, oil on linen panel.

No comments: