Saturday, May 11, 2013

Saturday Plein Air - Gallant Farm

Our weather sure doesn't want to give us painters a break. We haven't had a comfortable Saturday yet. Today, it was misty, overcast and cool at about 55 degrees. We painted at Gallant Farm park near Delaware. This is one of my favorite places. I was hoping the machinery shed would be open so I could paint old farm 'stuff' but I started a good hour before the farm educator arrived. Luckily for us, she got the wood cook stove going in the farm house, and made us hot coffee and tea, and allowed us to do our critique in the kitchen!

 I decided to setup looking south. I had intended on painting the corner of the equipment shed, the gate, and the trees beyond. It's hard to see in these photos, but there was a very distant view in the break of the treeline above the gate. I tried painting in the shed, but I got to that period in a painting where it is really ugly and you wonder if you should go on, or scrap it. I kept pushing myself to move on and try to finish, but the shed just wasn't working. It made too strong a statement, when I really wanted to capture that distant view.


So ...... time to demolish the barn and plant a tree!


I worked hard at getting the values and colors of the layers correct for the distance, and tried to be very free with my brush strokes in the new tree area in the foreground right. There is a bit of glare here, but I am very happy with how this turned out.











No comments: