This first experiment is a homemade mixture of finely ground pumice mixed with acrylic matte medium and brushed onto a piece of mat board to dry. The surface is REALLY rough and because of that, it was really chewing up my pastels. So I decided this was a good time to use my cheaper pastels which rarely get used, instead of my expensive ones.
I copied the composition and steps in Richard McKinley's article in Pastel Journal magazine.
|This board was coated with the pumice mixture and under-painted |
with watercolors and dried. Then the beginning of pastel shown in light blue on top.
|Composition put in loosely with large shapes.|
|I sprayed Spectra-Fix pastel fixative to see how this product works. |
I thought I put a light coat but it looked pretty wet. Took awhile to dry.
|After drying. Surprised - looks pretty much like it did before |
the spray, but the pastel is set!
|Finished painting. Good experiment, but a bit rough for my tastes. |
Perhaps the ratio of pumice powder to medium could be adjusted.
The next experiment was using Golden Fine Pumice Gel, which is very similar to what I made, but ready-made with a finer pumice. Easy Peasy!! I coated a piece of mat board, and it dried fairly quickly within an hour. This still had a nice texture, but softer and was much nicer to work on. I felt I could paint more quickly.
I am pleased with this one. I use this product again.
I have also coated a board with clear gesso, which has its own sanded feel. I will use that on my next painting and report on the results.