Sunday, April 19, 2009

Acrylic Painting - 'Dry Dock'

'Dry Dock' 6" x 8" Acrylic on canvas wrapped board

After seeing what the other plein air painters do with oils, I've been itching to give it a try, but didn't want to mess with oil paints and thinners... In the past, I have used acrylics, but never was happy with the results. Recently I bought a few new tubes of paint and thought I'd give it a try. Today was the day! I had a small 6x8 canvas wrapped board which I gessoed and decided to start small by recreating the 'Dry Storage' pastel from yesterday.

The paint really dried quickly on the palette and I didn't like the texture of the canvas, but I continued on. It finally started to come together and I am really pleased with this. It was a little hard to photograph, as its pretty cloudy today.

I plan on painting with acrylics again on masonite gessoed boards and see if I like the texture better.

P.S. Later today, I went to buy a frame for this and realized they rarely sell 6" x 8" frames. So why do they sell that size canvas board?? I was lucky enough to find a frame in clearance that had a 5x7 wooden insert. I was able to remove the insert and then it was a 6x8 frame. Chalk that up to experience - don't paint anymore 6x8 paintings!

P.S.S. I replaced the image with a scan of the painting, which is more correct in color and values.

No comments: