I'd been looking for a way to make my own without asking someone to cut a board the size I preferred. Finally I decided that I just needed to attach something on the board I'd already made. I bought one of the primed masonite painting panels (less than $5 using a coupon!) at the art store for the surface. I chose the 16x20" size. Now I needed a way to attach it without putting holes in it!
I also wanted it to be easily taken off , not permanently attached. I headed to the hardware superstore to look for ideas and found the perfect molding to use - "panel cap". I also bought some LocTight Go 2 Glue to attach the wood to the back of the board. In all, this new addition was less than $10 - Saved $75 from the aluminum version! My version is just over 3 pounds, included the original wood.
Below is the finished project.
|Sliding it into the new "rails"|
|I put a piece of square dowel as a "stop" (this is really shown upside down here, the stop will be on the bottom when mounted in the tripod)|
|Stop at bottom (although the rail is snug enough to hold the board from slipping, I would expect over time it will become looser, so felt I'd need the stop.)|
Above is the original intent - to have the working pastel surface on the left (I am left handed), and the photo of my scheme taped on the right.
Another successful tinkering project!