Saturday, October 13, 2012

Plein Air Saturday - Lobdell Reserve

My painting class was cancelled today because the room where we hold the class was being used for another event, so I joined my plein air group outside! It was a nippy morning at 42 degrees at 9am, but the sun quickly warmed us up. We met again at Lobdell Reserve. Some of the group was painting at the other area down in the creek bed, but I thought it was too cold to stand in the creek. I walked out in the meadow and found this view of the mowed path. I liked the deep shadows of the grasses on the path. I needed to get started before the sun moved and I lost the shadows.

I recently was lucky to find a used Soltek, Pro model for a good price. I wanted to give it a test drive before the season was over. It worked well! I like it. The Pro is about 4" taller than the standard, which works for a tall person like me.

We had some interesting visitors while we painted. There is a horseman's trail here, so several riders passed by, along with many people walking their dogs, and there was even a nice tabby cat that kept us company!

*Edited Sunday - I adjusted this painting a little bit today in the studio. Below is the final painting and was photographed indoors.




When I was done, I went over to where the others were painting and we did a quick critique. We had a small group today because of the temperature and the distance from home. This is the last scheduled paint-out for the season for us. Many of the group will now meet each Saturday morning at the MAC in Worthington to paint indoors for the winter. I usually hibernate and prefer to work in my jammies in my own studio, instead of getting up early on a weekend on a snowy day!



No comments: