Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Night Art - Abstract #1

I'm a big fan of abstract paintings, but never had the confidence to get the look I wanted in my own work. Yesterday, I visited one of the well known high-end decorating stores. I saw an abstract that I really liked, but it was way out of my price range. So, I thought I'd just play around and see what I came up with, because I wanted some new art for the condo.

Tonight after work, I was feeling ambitious - surprising for a Monday evening! So I dug around in the garage to see what supplies I had. I still have a few tubes of acrylic paint, although a very limited palette. I also found a 16 x 20 canvas wrapped board, which luckily fit in one of my many watercolor frames. I decided to use the abstract I saw in the store as a jumping off point, but certainly didn't intend on copying it. I used the colors I had and went at it with a plastic palette knife. I enjoyed using the knife, but when I tried using a brush it just didn't work at all, so went back with the knife and completed this in about 30 minutes. I'm quite pleased with the results.

Now I am feeling like heading to the art supply store and getting a larger board or stretched canvas and a few more tubes of paint.........  Strike while the inspiration hits!

No comments: