Monday, January 26, 2015

More Experiments with Artagain Paper

Because I enjoyed the Artagain black paper, I thought I'd try some of the other colors. I didn't know this paper has been around so long, nor that it could be used for pastels. I prefer to use sanded pastels papers because of my dislike of Canson Mi-Teintes paper. I have to say though, that when I first used the Canson, I was fairly new to pastels. It can be a frustrating paper because you cannot lay many layers. Now that I have spent a lot of time with pastels, I might have to reconsider and try it again since the Artagain is a similar paper except without the "patterns" on one side of the Canson.

After I had cut a variety of the Artagain to size for my custom sketchbook, I thought I would try the scraps to experiment with the soft pastels. I chose a heather-pink color and used the photo contact sheet I still had on my easel for reference. I felt I got too detailed too quickly and forgot to lay down just simple shapes. If you squint the painting might work! ;-)

 I used another sheet of the pink to mess around with pastel pencils in the lower view:
All in all, I think I will use the lighter color papers more for drawings with pastel pencils, graphite, etc., but will do more with the black with soft pastels.

No comments: